Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Confessions of a Suburban HouseHusband Pt.4: Working Girl

Today I started my new part-time job!

As you know, I have been on a long quest to break into the world of Not-For-Profit / Charity work, but have had very little success. And, of course, by ‘very little success’, I mean no success at all. Over the past 14 months, I have sent out over 40 resumes, with not so much as a bite. And I have been in a 10 month battle to get my Métis Status card reissued (I lost it in NYC three years ago) so that I can apply for grants and such to go to school and study Fundraising & Volunteer Management… and battle is the only word I can think of.

Well, finally, I got my card last week and will be using it to its full advantage, hopefully by the fall. And just the other day I got a call from my dear friend, The Philanthropist and he was offering me a job.

This may only be a temporary position, but it will last at least three months. The possibility is there for this to turn into a bigger position, with more responsibility and more workload, and even a completely different title, but that depends on the next few months.

Right now I will be doing reception/ office coordination/ data entry/ general-office-busy-body things 2 days a week. The position is being reconfigured and we’re gonna work together to see what is needed and not needed from the job and from me. The wage is good (Actually, compared to sitting around the house doing laundry and cooking, the wage if pretty fucking great) and more importantly, I am getting immeasurable experience in an industry that I long to be a part of.

As it was my first day, I’m not sure what it will be turning into, but be sure that you will be hearing more stories in the next few months.

I’m on my way people. A year after I started on this journey, things are starting to happen. Look out.

8 Comments:

Blogger Fancy C. Poitras said...

Best of luck with the new adventure kiddo! I know it's part time and all, but don't forget to let things roll off your back. Occupational hazard of working in the NFP/Charity sector is burning out. Stay cool!

March 13, 2007 1:46 AM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

Thanks baby.
I'm fairly lucky to have The Philanthropist as my E.D. He's a great guy for helping out and lending a hand.
How's your battles going?

March 13, 2007 3:08 AM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

Congratulations! You'll be a success in everything you do.

How's your mom? And, THANK YOU for that insane Oh Happy Day link, it was the exact one!

March 13, 2007 1:19 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Lance, good to hear you got your status card sorted out.

Congratulations on the new job, and now that you are on your way, it'll be no time before you're doing all that you want.

March 13, 2007 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck! What is it exactly?

March 19, 2007 4:53 PM  
Blogger Robert Mitchell L.L. said...

yeah for my super smart boyfriend...yeah!!!!!

March 21, 2007 9:30 PM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

What the hell! Where are you!!!

March 28, 2007 12:08 AM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

I'm with Yo' Mama, that's where.
I've been so busy with my new job that I've been to bed late and up early for three weeks now(Just over an hour commute each way).
Plus I've had Birthdays and Puppy sitting, and all sorts of Shenanigans.
They're coming.

March 28, 2007 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home