Thursday, February 23, 2006

Three Songs?


I often ask people, "If there was a movie made of your life, what are three songs that would be on the original soundtrack?" It doesn’t have to be your top three favourite songs of all time, just three that would be there. Three songs that mean something to you, or did mean something to you at an important point in your life. A very interesting and difficult question, I think.
Here are my answers, in no particular order:



What A Wonderful World, (George Weiss / Bob Thiele):
Needs no explanation, does it? We have the choice each day as to how we look at the world. We can look and see all the shit and misery and think to ourselves, "What a crap-hole! I'm gonna spend the rest of my day being pissed off that there are holes in our ozone, and that person just dared ask me for change and that person cut me off and my boss is a jerk...!"
Or we can see the trees of green, and the red roses too. We can notice people shaking hands saying "How do you do?" (Even though we know that they're really saying, "I love you"). We can even see the beauty in the face of a crying baby and say to ourselves, "What a Wonderful World! Oh Yeah." Which one will have the most positive effect on the world and to ourselves?

Nothing Fails,
(M. Ciccone / G. Sigsworth / J. Griffiths):
I think that at a point in every ones life, they question spirituality. Admit it, we do. It's human nature. ‘What do I believe?’ ‘I've been told to believe this, do I?’ ‘Is there a God?’ ‘In what form?’ ‘Why are we here?’ ‘Why am I Here?’ ‘What's the meaning of life?’ While this song doesn't answer these question for us, it did offer me a calm.
I was going through a very intense spiritual awakening a few years ago, and was lost. I have never believed in a religion or God, per se, but here I was questioning something. At the same time, I was planning to uproot my entire life and move across the country. Leave all my financial security, my friends, my family, everything I've ever known. What the fuck? But then this song... this song helped it all make sense. It's true that you could take it all away, but I would still have it all. Because now that I have a firm grasp on what I believe inside my heart, my head and my spirit, I'm not longer scared of falling. I know that it will be okay. As long as I stay true to my beliefs, I’ll be fine. Nothing else matters.
This is a love song, but it's not sung to a person. But, rather, it’s sung to the spiritual realm.

3: Usual Suspect, (Z. Theodorou/V. Cardinal/D. Martin/G. Sorochan/R. Hunter):
I wish that everyone feels love like this once in their life. This song tells the story of 'Person a' who is in love with 'Person b'. 'Person b' is so outstanding that everyone is in love with them, but 'Person a' is trying to let them know that they are different. "I am not like all the others, 'cause those people have just fooled you into thinking they were in love with you. I am truly in love with you; so much so, that I will go to any lengths to show it to you." 'Person a' realizes how much (s)he must sound like everyone else, but just listen to the emotion in their voice... their love is true. No matter how 'radical' they may sound, they have to take the leap and tell 'Person b' how they really feel.
This is the greatest love song I've ever heard, and I have been fortunate enough to hear it live, several times over. Whenever you tell someone you love them, be it the first time or the millionth time, it should have this much emotion behind it. Otherwise, it's just a word.

Well, that’s my selection. What are yours?

5 Comments:

Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

This didn't publish the first time for some crazy reason. Insomnia by Faithless, Walk Away by Barlow, and Beautiful Day, U2 are mine, Oh and I need a dance partner sometime this year, probably in the summer. Mummy and me were discussing just how perfect you were for the job. Interested? (insert my jumping up and down and clapping)

February 24, 2006 6:44 AM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

Oh heavens.... Dance partner for what? Is this a reality TV thing? 'Cause I'm so over TV!

February 24, 2006 11:32 AM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

A tango or something wild. Heavy lifting not required. (and NO tv!)

February 24, 2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

Did your sisters hair this evening and she clarified everything. Sure, I'll do it; it just depends on the work schedule.
I did swing and line dancing last year, so thats out, but tango sounds cool. Salsa could also be hot. And (guilty admission) I've always wanted to learn tap.

You pick.

February 25, 2006 1:42 AM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

YAY! I was thinking summer-ish, so we have lots of time to work out schedules, etc.
Always wanted to do swing, wanted to do tango FOREVER or paso doble style stuff.... tap? Wondering if I can be persuaded....

February 25, 2006 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home