Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Zozo


I met Zozo at a gig she was playing in Calgary. I didn't want to go out that night, but my then boyfriend had promised the band he would be there. I had just flown in from the Yellowknife; I just found out a client had died; I had been awake since 7am; my flight was delayed. All I wanted was a glass of wine and a cigarette. But Kyle was better at convincing me to go out than I was at convincing him to stay in. And I'm so glad he was, because I would have missed the chance to meet one of the most fabulous persons in my life.

From the minute I walked into the bar, my energy lifted. SoulBody was playing Jill Scott's 'A Long Walk', and Zozo was taking command of the vocals with more energy and force that I have ever witnessed live. On their first break, we discovered that she was actually going to be going to Yellowknife 2 weeks later.

That trip was the first of several visits to Canada's north for Zozo. And with each trip we were given the chance to grow as friends over coffee; brunch at a greasy spoon; dinner; wine; gettin' her hair did; and flopped around my condo, just chatting. We talked about music, travel, God / spirituality, ex's, goals, life... everything. This diva can talk! And she has a laugh that will lift any mood.

As I mentioned, her talent goes far beyond just vocals. She is a performer in every sense of the word. I've been to so many of her gigs, and they are always packed to the rafters. Even people who don't dance can't help themselves to move to her rhythm. As I type this, I'm listening to her CD and bopping in my seat. Something in her voice just makes you want to move. On-stage she will make you laugh, scream and cheer. A fabulous black woman with all the confidence and attitude one can possibly possess.

Her newest album, 'Essence of Life', is being released this spring. You can sample several tracks on her website (Note: They are not yet mixed or mastered), including 'Usual Suspect', my personal favourite love song... ever.

Me loves you, Zozo. Hope to see you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home