Wednesday, January 18, 2006

At The Late Night Double Feature Picture Show!

In the past six months I have done some extensive travelling. I've been to New York City more than a few times. Japan three times. India. All over Europe. British Columbia. A Few African nations. And pretty much across the entire North American continent.

You see, The Boyfriend and I go to a lot of movies. Like, a lot. I'd say we average 2 a week; sometimes more, sometimes less. Now it's not that we have nothing better to do or are so bored of each other that all we can handle is sitting in a dark room, surrounded by 398 of our closest strangers starring at a screen larger than both of our apartments combined. No, it's not that at all (is it?). We both just really like films.

All kinds too. We often double date with another couple (they're a boy/girl couple, but we won't hold that against them) to see all the new horror flicks. All the homo boys get together for all the gay films. We'll go see the foreign, comedy, drama, independent films together. And if it's an action film, he goes with Cousin Julie or straight Mark. If it's a musical then I go with Cell Phone Boy or the Philanthropist. With all the genres covered, we ought to buy stock in Paramount.

The past few months have been filled with an incredible amount of great films. The Aristocrats; Brokeback Mountain; Hostel; Memoirs of a Geisha; Proof; Redeye; Rent; Water; and most recently Transamerica. Not to mention all that were rented or watched at home. Now, please don't look at the list and judge my judgement. I really enjoyed all of these films because they were all successful in creating emotions. I think that any movie that makes you cry, scream or laugh till you pee must struck a cord with you, otherwise you would not have reacted in such a way. And isn't that why we go to films in the first place?

The cinema is a great place where we can go to lose ourselves for a few hours. It's a magical place that can take us to the widow hostels of India; the biblical land of Narnia; late 80's Manhattan, minefields in Cambodia; and eccentric torture factories in eastern Europe . . . if only for a few hours at a time. I defy you to name a travel agent that can do the same for under $20.

No matter the genre, film has a wonderful way of making me feel better about my life. Whenever I'm feeling low or sad, I just think, 'Hey! At least I'm not a Pre-pubescent Hindu Widow being raised to be a Transsexual Geisha by my senile mathematician father who is HIV+ and has locked me in a gas chamber of a house with 8 strangers who are trying to kill each other to find the vaccine, so they alone can survive only to get kidnapped by beautiful busty women at an Eastern European hostel.'
Life is good, n'est pas?

2 Comments:

Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

Hi gorgeous! I remembered my blogspot address, it's http://memoirsofafatgirl.blogspot.com

Be a love and hook me up. Once I figure out how to use the linking features I shall do the same. And did I tell you just how HOT you looked today? Smokin!

January 19, 2006 10:25 PM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

I can think of nothing I would rather do that to put a link to your blog, on mine. In fact, it's already there. Look at that!
I've read a bit of yours already. Fun stuff. I look forward to reading more of your inner thoughts, and sharing mine with you.
Oh.... and thanks for the comliment. Now I'm blushing.
-L
PS... all other readers, please follow the link to 'Memoirs of a Fat Girl'. Support the blogging industry in all its glory, or something.

January 20, 2006 1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home