Wednesday, January 11, 2006

How much does volunteering pay?

I just had a very very VERY long day! I was at the office at about 10:30am, and left just after 6. Slaved all day, with only a bit if a lunch break. It's been a long time since I worked like this. Great fun too; as it was my first day on the job. Oh but, it's not like it’s a real job or anything. I've just begun volunteering again.

When I was younger, I did a lot of volunteering. My mother is a nurse on the Extended Care ward of the hospital and my sister and I were often up there helping fold towels and feeding patients and what-not. But one too many times I walked in on some 90 year old wanking themselves or spitting on me and had to resign. I'm not sure how nurses deal with this day in and day out, but for an 11year old boy it’s a bit too much.

When I was a young adult I was an extremely busy person and had little time to donate, so I just gave out a lot of money. I may not have been able to go door to door to collect for the Heart and Stroke Foundation, but I sure did give well to them each year. As I’d done with many organizations. But now I have ample time again, and little money so I've decided to start giving my time.

One of my greatest friends ever, “The Philanthropist” recently moved to Toronto and took an Executive Director position at Dying With Dignity, a national organization dedicated to improving the quality of dying and expanding end-of-life choices in Canada. When he got the job, I told him instantly that I wanted to be put onboard as a regular volunteer.

Good to know that I am not the only volunteer. DWD has a handful of people around to do occasional this-and-that. Most prominent are the three...elderly women? I'm not sure exactly how to describe them.

Irene is the mother hen of the group. At 91 years old, Irene has been volunteering every Wednesday since retiring from full time work, 19 years ago. Next in line is Irene's co-worker from the old days, Marg, also 91. Marg started at DWD about the same time as Irene. Then we have the young one; the wild child of the group. Jean is a tender 89 years old and just getting her feet wet. She's only been volunteering with the group for 14 years, so I guess they're still trying to see if she fits. Being vastly younger than the rest, she's able to have more time for the organization. Jean is in on Wednesdays and Mondays. Ahhhh, youth. I'm willing to bet that these three women actually do run the office. What they say goes! In fact, they won't even allow the organization to supply them with a computer do make their work easier. "Now, we don't need some fancy screen for our work. Just as good to type it up on the old faithful typewriter, dear." All of their work is hand typed by them...ALL OF IT! And this typewriter is so old that they have to keep another one around because they can’t get new parts to fix it, should it ever break. The three of them take turns at the typewriter, filing cabinet, ledger and envelope stuffing stations. It's amazing to watch them work.

All is did was organize and alphabetize the entire reference library. Thousands of books, binders, videos, newsletters, magazines and two audio tapes, all restocked and reshelved and ready to go. Well not quite. I estimate about another 6 or 7 weeks of data entry and cross referencing on computer. The Philanthropist was right to hire me. I'm the most Obsessive Compulsive organizer I know. I alphabetize for fun, and I'm not joking. I swear, when that store room is done it'll bring tears to your eyes. But don't hold your breath, I've got several weeks of Mondays and Wednesdays to finish it.

Mondays and Wednesdays? .... I just realized those are the same days that Jean works. Gosh, what if she gets sweet on me in such close quarters. You know those young women, get a few drinks into them at an office party, and watch out!

4 Comments:

Blogger glasshill said...

OC? Would you consider Tuesdays here? please?

No volunteering doesn't cost, it pays. I stick to feeding people and animals(I been told its the cancer rising in my sign) and walking dogs. Somewhere along the line I ended up in charge of our church's homeless shelter night - that's what regular attendance will get you....
I take the kids too - they're quite handy at bed rolls and sheets now and the part they like best is hanging after because usually there is dessert left over and we just sit and talk with people - more often than not there are kids, so they play with them, which is much more fun than the dishes!

January 12, 2006 1:46 PM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

As tempting as it is to fly back and forth to Chicago every week, I must decline. Tuesdays area work day. Between my real job and volunteering, I'm only on Sundays. Would that work?

January 12, 2006 4:45 PM  
Blogger glasshill said...

Sundays are perfect, so 2days then, or do you have to wait till next week?

;-)

I know some lovely places to eat/drink before I loaded you back on the plane again.... I also mix a mean martini myself and am in terrible need of a haircut....

and you could bring Robert in the spring & summer (he's handy in gardens)... oh this could SO work!

January 13, 2006 2:51 PM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

It's a date then. I'll check my chedule. This Sunday is no good, but we'll look at next week.
Should I bring colour too?

January 13, 2006 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home