Tuesday, January 10, 2006

He's a dentist, not a chef.


My friend, cell phone boy, has a perfect roommate. He's fun; he's cute; he's quiet; he's never home; he pays the rent on time. What more could you ask for?

Well maybe he could be a little tidier. And maybe, just maybe, he could be a better cook. It's not that his cooking is terrible; it's just rather ... generic. But it's really not his fault. You see, he's a heterosexual male. How can we expect him to handle meat in the kitchen if he doesn't have a lot of experience with it out of the kitchen?

Let's share a story, shall we? Cell phone boy and I were on our way out for dinner, so I stopped over to pick him up. As I entered their apartment, I could smell BBQ sauce, and was shocked that our cute straight friend was actually cooking something other than Kraft Dinner. I was so proud; I even shed a single tear.

"Marc, that smells great! What are you cooking?"
"Pasta!" was the reply.

Now, by all means, I'm not Martha Stewart, but I think I can hold my own in the kitchen. At least, I do know a little bit about mixing flavors. And I'm pretty sure Penne and Kraft BBQ sauce never should be on the same plate.

I think he must have seen the confused look on my face so he offered his explanation. "I thought I had more pasta sauce, but it turns out I only had a tiny bit left, so I just mixed it with BBQ sauce. They're both red-ish so I figured they would work together. Wanna try it?" Of course, how could I not have ever realized the true secret to mastering cooking? It has nothing to do with flavors, spices, proper timing. As long as the colours are the same, it all works out.

Well, this post is kinda like the cute hetero's cooking. It's just there, but it's not really meant to have a lot of substance. Being my first post, I'm really just trying to figure it all out. Not sure how to do much yet, so I'm just experimenting. If it doesn't turn out right, I'll just dump it in the organic compost heap and start over.

If all else fails, I'll just add a bit of cinnamon and see what happens.

6 Comments:

Blogger Robert Mitchell L.L. said...

and what a fine maiden blog voyage it is too...keep it up...bbq sauce on pasta...maybe Martha learned that one in prison

January 10, 2006 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very funny honey! (blair here at work)I'll email you instructions on how to post your photo in a bit. Nice writing kiddo! I think you is a natural you is.

January 10, 2006 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally felt it left something to be desired ... like naked pictures of said roommate ... now that would REALLY bring the story alive ... or maybe if you could make the screen smell like the combination of pasta sauce and bbq sauce (easily obtained by smearing said sauces onto said screen) then maybe ... just maybe ... i would have bought it ... but alas

Honestly, a very impressive start ... but i see the beginnings of a Split Personality for me ... both of which are HORRIBLY out of date ... hey this comment is almost as long as your blog, maybe it's time for my own

January 10, 2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

No matter what you say or do, you will ALWAYS be 'Cell Phone Boy' to me. That's not something that you can just grow out of.... even if you're no longer dealing with cell phones. "Bank Boy" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

January 11, 2006 2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alberta boy says it all if you ask me!

January 11, 2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

Hey! 'Cell Phone Boy' has been around since the day we met. You just dubbed him 'Alberta Boy' a few months ago. I win.
Now we ought stop fighting over him like this; he's bound to get a big head about it.

January 11, 2006 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home