Monday, September 04, 2006

Saturday August 26, 2006

Saturday August 26:

People at my work are amazing. Everyone wished me well and my clients today… geez, you’d think I lost my dog or something… tips coming out of the woodworks. All week, my little tip envelopes were signed… “Have some wine on me” or “Remember to relax” or “Good Luck” or “Congrats! Put this to first months rent” yadda yadda yadda. All the little envelopes stuffed to the brim with $10’s, $20’s, even a $50 or two.

Work now done It’s time to get to business… I packed up the remaining boxes of stuff and got ready for the onslaught of hired help (read: Good-friends-who-are-easily-tricked-into-helping-haul). Everyone showed up to lend a hand, and as usual, Cousin Janet will be first on the scene. She’s on her way now, so I really should sign off and get some work done.

*************

WOW! That’s one empty apartment. I can hear an echo, seriously. I totally forgot how this place looks when empty; it’s been full of furniture, boxes, people, parties, animals etc. for 28 months, and now… dormant.

Oh my God. Here I go. I’m all veclempt. Talk amongst yourselves!

This is the first apartment I ever had in Toronto. I found it before I moved here and The Landlady held it vacant for over 6 weeks because she liked me and wanted me to have it. I saw this place and said, “I’ll take it” before I even looked around and asked questions. I pretty much had my signature on the line before I even knew the neighbourhood. I walked in and had such great vibes that I just knew this was “MY” place. My Home! But now…

Now it’s going to be someone else’s place. It’s going to be Nancy’s place. No more parties. No more talking to The Boyfriend on the phone before bed. No more great backyard movie nights. No more talking to my neighbour, Wilson, through the fence.

But you know what? There will be more parties; BETTER parties. I no longer need to talk to The Boyfriend on the phone before bed, because he will be right there beside me. We will one day have our own backyard with movie nights. And there will be other neighbours. Wilson has become a client, so I will stay in contact with her, and make new friends.
Everything is going to be great.

**********

Well, that’s as far as I had written before taking my computer out of commission for a few days. After that, The Philanthropist and I made a haul of big furniture and had to go back for the mattress and X-mas decorations. Lucky us, we both looked at the city for a few second too long and missed our turn off so we drove an extra ten minutes out of our way, only to get to drive back the said ten minutes. And (no word of this is a lie) as much as the weather looked dodgy all day, it held up… until we moved my mattress outside. The second that got out from cover, the drizzle started…. AND STOPPED the minute we got it in the van. What am I? Charlie Brown with some silly black cloud hanging over my head?

Thank you to the Lesbians for hosting an impromptu “Finished Moving Party”. After all was dropped off we headed there for pizza, salad, crackers, cheese, watermelon, goldfish, and some roll/pastry/yummy thing that Val made.

And, of course wine and beer. The latter has a lot to do with why I have very little memory of many more details. I do remember Jasper being overly cute though.

Such a great dog.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog lance.
It's like being there.
;)

September 04, 2006 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a renter you should check out the Ontario Tenants Rights site.

September 15, 2006 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home