Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Lesson From a 15 Year Old Girl.


“It’s difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams, and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It’s a wonder I haven’t abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.

It’s utterly impossible for me to build my life on a foundation of chaos, suffering and death. I see the world slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty will too will end, that peace and tranquility will return once more. In the meantime, I must hold on to my ideals. Perhaps the day will come when I’ll be able to realize them!”

Yours, Anne M. Frank

That was an excerpt from The Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank; the last two chapters from Anne’s third last entry written July 15, 1944. Two and a half weeks later, Anne and the seven other people were arrested and taken out of their secret annex where they had been in hiding for more than two years and put into concentration camps.

It seemed so powerful to me, that after living 25 months in a small attic with 7 other people, without the option of going outside, being at the mercy of their helpers, feeding off scarce rations of food that had often begun to rot, Anne still had a drive and hopes of a brighter future when they would be liberated. She often wrote about the trials and tribulations of life in The Secret Annex, but never gave up hope for herself, her family and all of humanity.

A lesson for all of us, maybe?

In March of 1945, nine months after she was arrested, Anne Frank died of typhus at Bergen-Belsen. Roughly one month before that concentration camp was liberated by British troops.

She was fifteen years old.

4 Comments:

Blogger KuPu said...

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED reading about her in School and watching her movies in school! She's surely one girl to look up to eh! NO matter how hard things got, she never gave up, and seemed to be so positive. She's a role model for me! I was excited that you posted something about her!:OD

January 10, 2007 7:14 PM  
Blogger Fancy C. Poitras said...

I own no fewer than 10 books and 2 movies about her, with another 5 or 6 on my amazon wishlist. It's a very powerful story, and in many ways I could relate to her trying to be a normal girl in very un-normal circumstances.

January 11, 2007 11:43 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

Excellent post Lance, I hadn't thought of Anne Frank in years. I had a chance to go to the Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam and it was an incredible experience. The annex is still like it was during the time Anne stayed there. You even have to go behind the bookcase to get in. On the wall by Anne's bed there are newspaper clippings of celebrities just like you would expect of any teenage girl, but yet you look at her writings and what she went through and you realize she wasn't just any typical girl. I definitely recommend visting it to anyone who has the chance.

January 12, 2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger glasshill said...

perhaps she's not so much the exception.
perhaps the hopeful of this world are just quieter, and don't make the news.
perhaps there is more beauty in the world and in it's people than we get to see if we only look upon it's surface. - just a thought.

January 12, 2007 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home