Saturday, December 23, 2006

Seven Days of Christmas Songs: Days 4 & 5

Christmas is full of tradition.

There’s family.
There’s presents.
Children.
Santa.
Holiday parties.
Snow.

These things are synonymous with Christmas. Every year, these are the things we think about during the last week of December. 2006 is no different. That is, of course, if you live anywhere else but Toronto, Ontario.

Rain! Fucking rain has been pouring on us for two days now. Ugly grey clouds and, at best, a light mist. We’ve been soaking wet since yesterday, and it does not look like it’s going to let up.

I have never, in all my 28 Christmases, had to live through a grey Christmas. Its supposed to be white. Walking through a white, fluffy blanket of snow-cover with all your bags and treasures in tow. In all truth, every Christmas day in memory has had snowfall. I can’t think of a time when I opened presents without looking out to individual snowflakes falling onto the window pane.

This rain is really getting me down and the weather forecast is not helping. There is tell that there may be snow on Monday night, but until then it is just gonna piss rain. And I don’t even believe that there will be snow. I think that the weather channel just lies to us and tells us such things so that we don’t jump off the viaduct.

And so I offer you this song. This song is covering two days, because there has been two days of stupid rain. You all know the words; if you are here in southern Ontario, please sing along. If you are elsewhere, please pray that we get a little bit of white goodness. (note that I have written my own alternate lyrics… poor rhyming aside… that are in brackets)

White Christmas

The sun is shining, the grass is green
The orange and palm trees sway
(The birch and willow trees sway)
There's never been such a day
In Beverly Hills, LA
(In Our Lovely G.T.A.)
But it's December the 24th
And I'm longing to be up north

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know.
Where the treetops glisten,
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write.
May your days be merry and bright.
And may all your Christmases be white.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write.
May your days be merry and bright.
And may all your Christmases be white.

(Lyrics by Irving Berlin 1942)

6 Comments:

Blogger KuPu said...

Awe Lance....I'm from Alberta, and We have TONS of snow. Of course it has also been quite nice here this week, so a lot of it has melted, but I can send some to you as a Christmas Gift!!! We also have lots of Ice. Do you like to Skate? I'd also hate to have rain for Christmas...it's not Christmas without Snow. What's up with that eh!!! Come to Alberta...
Merry Christmas!!!!

December 24, 2006 2:23 AM  
Blogger FrozenExtremities said...

No snow here either, it's pathetic. We had pouring rain all last night. I'd give anything to be in Colorado, all snowed in and stuff.
Merry Christmas, though, regardless of the weather!

December 24, 2006 5:31 AM  
Blogger Johanna Kim said...

Hey Lance, Merry Christmas and Peace and Good Health to you and your loved ones:) It rained here in Portland, Oregon, but that's expected. I actually don't mind it because I'm really clumsy and always manage to fall on my bum whenever someone even mentions snow.

December 25, 2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger The Tormented Girl said...

heheh you should try Christmas in 35 degree C heat... bloody boiling! I'd give anything for a bit of rain, snow even! I grew up with snowy Christmases and even though I've lived here for 18 years I still can't get used to a hot Christmas. Hope you had a good one :]

December 29, 2006 3:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lance,

Holy fuck, you live in Toronto. I just went back to Yellowknife for the first time in ten years. Went to look you up and was told you work in the same neighborhood that I do in Toronto!! I would love to get together, send me out a line: nmdjackson@gmail.com!! Hope all is well, Happy New Year!

January 01, 2007 8:23 PM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

YEAH!!!! I emailed you back, I hope you got it. I actually explain how I've been looking for you in the email as well.
Let me know if you do or do not get the email.... Can't wait to see you.

January 03, 2007 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home