Monday, May 01, 2006

Xanadu! Your Neon Lights Will Shine For You, Xanadu!

The love
The echoes of long ago
You needed the world to know
They are in Xanadu

A million lights are dancing
And there you are
A shooting star
An everlasting world
And you're here with me
Eternally
Xanadu, Xanadu

Taking his cue from Madonna (And what 25 year old Homosexual does not?) Cell Phone Boy wanted to celebrate his birthday at a Roller Rink! Having never been on roller skates in my entire life, I was a bit sceptical at first, but I am so glad we did.

Things started out well. Cell Phone Boy, the Halfaneese and I were chauffeured by Suzy B, in her new car. Her new car that was equipped with a DVD player. Since there are children in her family, the only DVD selections we had were 5 Barbie movies, or Annie! So we decide on a sing-a-long road trip all the way to Scooters Roller Rink, in the heart of the O-Dot (Oakville). We Love You Miss Hannigan!

We arrived at Scooters in enough time to check the schedules of upcoming events: The Christian Gospel Skate; The Teens Little Peoples Skate; The Adult Morning Skate (Who has nothing better to do on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am-12pm?) Almost all events feature DJ’s Dave and Stretch spinning. We were lucky enough to arrive on ‘Adult Night- Old School!”

We danced and skated and roller rocked to the tunes of Sly and the Family Stone; Devastatin’ Dave; Diana Ross; All the classics. Upside down and inside out... the night rocked!

In all its campy-ness, I was expecting the night to be full of people like us, a few friends who thought they would get together for a night of Madonna-Inspired Fun. But, oh no! Almost all others were there in all seriousness. There was the 75 year old white guy with a Kenny Rodgers beard. The 50-something guy with grey dreads all the way down to his ass (Think George Clinton). The Ruff & Tuff Brutha’s with their Jerry Curled hair, their black cut off shirts tucked tightly into their tight black denim, bordered with a studded belt, a Mr. T starter kit of bling adorning their necks, at the pool table… IN THEIR SKATES!!!! I could barely stay upright on the damn things, and these guys were billiard-ing in them. Billiard-ing even! WOW!

Poor Cell Phone Boy has the distinction of being the only one who fell. And fall he did… right on his ass… several times. Everyone took their turn, most of us opting for the traditional “Skate”, but some going with the modern “Blade”. Unsure, I brought my blades, but also rented skates. When I felt ‘the need for speed’, I bladed (something that I am quite proficient at). When I wanted to be camp, I strapped on and laced up my beautiful, tan, faux-suede 4 WHEELS OF DEATH!


A tough event to top, but the Halfaneese is going to give Cell Phone Boy a run for his money next weekend. We’re going to celebrate his birthday with some GLOW Bowling!

I heart summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home