Saturday, April 22, 2006

What's In A Name?

Happy Birthday to Me! Happy Birthday to Me!

Well, its not really my birthday, but it is the anniversary of my rebirth.

Four years ago today, I became a Morrison. Yes, yes, yes. It is true. Morrison is not my maiden name. I was born a Haller (much less flair, if you ask me). Morrison is my mothers Maiden name, and my chosen name.

You see, four years ago, I decided to change my last name to my Mothers maiden name, as a Mothers Day gift. I figured that if I ever became famous, or a father, or a dog owner, I would rather have my mothers family name passed on rather than my fathers.

Most people that know me, know that I have very little (read: no) respect for my father. At the same time, I put my mother on a pedestal and have actually applied for her Sainthood… no word yet from the Pope on if she gets it or not.

For any of you men, or unmarried (or modern) women… basically anyone who has never been through a name change… it’s a very VERY weird thing to go through. New signature. Calling yourself by a new name. Having to rewrite your passport application THREE TIMES, due to errors. Calling your High School, College, Social Insurance, Health Care to get everything re-issued. Now, the only thing I have that still has my 'original' name, is an award I recieved for 'Best Non-Apprentice To Obtain Interprovincial Red Seal; 2000/2001" and they wouldn't reissue (racism!).

A lot of work, changing your name is. But I think that the fact that I made my mother the happiest woman alive that day, and had thought of the BEST Mothers Day Present EVER, was worth it.

Love you Mommy. Thanks for being so great!

3 Comments:

Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

I'M BACK!

April 23, 2006 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

see now after that, how do you go back to flowers and chocolates? I always set the bar mighty low and only raise a quarter inch at a time. Next year my mom gets a card, well maybe.

April 23, 2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

Well, I figure every year I can just get a little plastic surgery and eventually look just like my mom. "Happy Mother's Day! Now I have your nose!"

April 23, 2006 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home