Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A man once made the long journey to his teacher to bring him sad news: The man had a son whose medical condition had become grave, and doctors had given up hope. Without his teacher’s intercession, the son would surely die. “Is there anything you can do to help?”

The master began to pray and meditate, trying everything in his power, but after hours of effort, he turned sadly to his student. ”I’m sorry,” he said, “but the gates of heaven are closed. There is nothing I can do for your son.”

The man was desolate. He got on his horse and began traveling home. As evening fell, he heard a horse galloping behind him. He turned around and saw his master. Immediately, he thought perhaps the master had been able to open up the gates of heaven after all.

“What’s the news?” he asked eagerly.

“I’m sorry,” said the master, “the gates of heaven are still closed. But after you left, I realized that even if I cannot help you with my prayers and meditations, at least I can cry with you. That is why I have come.”

The two men sat together on a rock by the side of the road and wept.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lance Morrison said...

Not a reflection that I, personally, feel the need to cry. More of a reminder that sometimes, the only thing we can do for someone is to be there.

To all my friends: Don't Worry! This has no hidden message. I just got it in my email and thought I'd share it.

March 14, 2006 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home