Saturday, August 11, 2007

From Bitter Searching Of The Heart.

Well, I’ve finally gone and done it. You’ve all heard me talking the talk for a good while now, but it if now official.

I am enrolled at Ryerson University in Toronto. September 10th will see me in a classroom, for the first time in almost 11 years. September 10th is my first day of school, and my first day as part of their Non-Profit & Voluntary Sector Management Program. On September 10th, Lancey is wenting to skool!

Not that I want to talk myself up or anything, but I’m pretty fucking proud of myself. For the past year and a half I’ve been trying to get my Métis status in order so that I could apply for grants (As you may well know, I don’t have a spare $4000 lying around that I could have used). Well, I’ve received very little (read: no) help from the guy that I’ve been waiting on, so I just said, ‘Screw it!’ I’m just going to take this one course at a time. Until I can get a grant, I will just pay for my classes and books one at a time, with any spare tips and cash.

I’ve been trying so hard for the past year and a half to get into the Non-Profit Sector, but nobody would look at my resume. Even though I have excellent experience in management, public relations, trade shows, education, etc (not to mention an intense passion), when you boil it down, I’m a hairdresser. That’s all I’ve done for a decade and I think people wouldn’t look past that.

So here I go. I’m taking this one step at a time, and on my way to saving the world! Fuck anyone who says it can’t be done. Every journey starts with a single step... or some shit like that.

In the magnificent words of Leonard Cohen:

From bitter searching of the heart,
Quickened with passion and with pain
We rise to play a greater part.
This is the faith from which we start:
Men shall know commonwealth again
From bitter searching of the heart.
We loved the easy and the smart,
But now, with keener hand and brain,
We rise to play a greater part.
The lesser loyalties depart,
And neither race nor creed remain
From bitter searching of the heart.
Not steering by the venal chart
That tricked the mass for private gain,
We rise to play a greater part.
Reshaping narrow law and art
Whose symbols are the millions slain,
From bitter searching of the heart
We rise to play a greater part.
-Villanelle For Our Time

I WILL rise... to play a better part. I’ll be damned if I will die and be remembered for being just a hairstylist.
I will make change.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you do for a living is irrelevant. People will remember you based on your strength of character and whether or not you treated people with respect and love. If you're the best hairstylist you can be, with a happy home life, then that in itself is an accomplishment. Anything else is just posturing.

August 13, 2007 9:10 AM  
Blogger Blair said...

True to all the above comments, but there ain't nothing wrong with improving one's self either.


blair

August 13, 2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Fancy C. Poitras said...

I completely hear you Lance. These days, you need a spectacular resume just to be a volunteer in the non-profit sector, and it is just such a closed community. I apply for good jobs, and all they see on my resume is reception and administration work, which quite frankly, paid the bills only.

Which is why Fancy wented back to skool in January, and will try for Grad school in September 08. They can't ingore me if I'm trained to tell them what to do and how to do it!

August 16, 2007 10:58 AM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

A) Good for you! What's your student number? Let's compare!

B) You have GOT to get off this "just a hairstylist" couch. You do a lot more for people then you realize, much, much more, And, what one does for a living is second to how they live their lives.

C) Is Leonard Cohen the long lost twin brother of Dustin Hoffman?

August 20, 2007 10:42 AM  
Blogger The Tormented Girl said...

Lance, that's AWESOME!! You must feel terrific taking that first step in the new direction. It's very inspiring :]

August 21, 2007 7:15 AM  
Blogger Cin said...

Lance, you do art with a part of the body. You make tired and overwhelmed mommies beautiful. You brought pep and pizazz to an entire newsroom of harried journalists.

You are NOT just a hairdresser.

Many wishes of success no matter what you decide to do with your future, sweetheart.

September 15, 2007 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home