Monday, August 07, 2006

Perfect Long Weekend for a BBQ Pt 1:

Mid week I got an email from Kaara Kaara Bo Baara:
“Are you available for Sunday Salon this weekend?” After checking my schedule, I replied that I was, in fact, free to do some cheveux, and in three emails or less I was to be hosting a barbeque in her honour. There would be her, her friend The Lawyer (who cuts her own hair...gasp!), The Boyfriend (whom she’d never met), The Philanthropist (whom she’d known from our time in Yellowknife and plans to marry), and Cell Phone Boy (whom she’d met several times over and plans to hire as her pool boy).


Sunday morning saw me in a mad frenzy preparing for the perfect summer barbeque. I dashed too and fro with the perfect plan of attack:
- First stop... Goodwill to pick up my silent auction items. (A brilliant set of silver aperitif goblets for $10)
- Organic grocers for my produce and meats (which left much to be desired)
- Side Trip: My neighbourhood ‘No Frills’ to pick up remaining pesticide, herbicide and steroid laden produce and meats. (Now seating Bitter. Table for one.)
- Home to unpack groceries.
- Quick stop at the liquor store. (One can never have too much wine.)
-Home in time for a quick shower and ready to greet guests with a smile and a freshly toned face.

Kaara Kaara Bo Baara and The Lawyer (who cuts her own hair... gasp!) were the first to arrive. We spent a few minutes chatting and catching up before retiring to the patio for some Outdoor Sunday Salon. Once the highlights were placed, I found myself in the kitchen slicing and dicing a cornucopia of meats and vegetables.

The menu?
Herb and Garlic Chicken Breast.
Lemon and Garlic Shrimp Kebabs.
Ginger and Garlic Beef Kebabs. (See recipe in the 2 posts)
Sweet Barbequed Corn on the cob.
French loaf with Balsamic vinegar and Olive Oil.
And for dessert: Strawberries, Cantaloupe, and Cherries with chocolate covered Lady Fingers.
YUMMY!

Chopping completed (Both produce and Kaara Kaara Bo Baara’s hair) we relaxed for a few moments on the patio with the entire group. The Lawyer (who cuts her own hair.... gasp!) had made easy friends with the boys. K.K.B.B. and I walked into their little party and pulled up chairs and ashtrays (yes I was smoking... shut up). Then it happened…

Have you ever had a golden shower from a rodent?

First it was just one drop. “Oh no! It’s raining!” But the sky offered no clouds, only picture perfect blue. Then another drop. “It must be raining; I feel it on my legs.” But that was just ricocheted off the table. Then the stream started. Well, what could that be? It can’t be old rain just dripping off the trees; it’s not rained in days. After 30 seconds it stopped and we looked up to the trees. And, like a tidal wave, logic hit us all at once. A stupid squirrel had just peed on us. Right onto the table. He never asked permission. He never introduced himself to us. He didn’t buy us dinner first. He just assumed it would be okay. The nerve!

Being the homosexuals and Fruit Flies that we were, we were not about to let a little squirrel urine rain on our parade. Hell no! A quick wipe of the table a few fresh wine glasses and we were off.

Probably one of the nicest nights I’ve had all year. Six friends, some old, some new, sitting in the twilight enjoying great company and great conversation. A lot of laughs (we never did get over the whole squirrel pee thing), a lot of memories, a lot of great gay music (apparently, all of us had been to paradise, but we had never been to ‘Me’).

Many thanks to all of you for helping me enjoy my last month in my apartment. I shall miss it dearly, but shall cherish all the memories, like this past Sunday, forever. You are all true friends and I love you all.

But next time, we bring an umbrella.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I colour, my own hair too. Gasp away. In my defense, though, I only cut my own hair when I'm high. I don't know how much of a defense that is, but take it for what it is.

I must say I had a fantastic time myself... it was wonderful to spend a gorgeous evening with an old friend and some new ones, even if the squirrels weren't impressed with the festivities. You were a wonderful host, and did a bang-up job creating a mood and meal that was enjoyable for all.

Also refreshing was being in the company of a number of intelligent, well-read, funny and attractive men who had nothing to prove (to me, at least).

August 11, 2006 6:37 PM  
Blogger Lance Morrison said...

Good times were had by all. Even the rodents.

Glad to know that you enjoyed yourself, but I can take no credit for cooking. All I did was make imaculate marinades and prepped everything to perfection and hosted a great party.

All cooking credit goes to The Boyfriend.

All location credit goes to The Landlady (Great choice in yard design, by the way. I'm really gonna miss it here.)

August 12, 2006 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home